Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Task Force ODIN: The Sequel…


So it happened that my Task Force Odin saga had a nice and unexpected sequel. I was talking about creation of the both coins in detail in Part 1 and Part 2. Just to recoup, in early February of 2012, I was contacted by Maj. Brian “Blue” Simms, member of Task Force ODIN (name is an acronym for Observe, Detect, Identify, and Neutralize). It is a United States Army aviation battalion created in August 2006 to conduct reconnaissance, surveillance and target acquisition (RSTA) operations to combat insurgent operators of improvised explosive devices in Iraq. At the time, the battalion command decided to create two challenge coins for the unit. A challenge coin is a small coin or medallion (usually military), bearing an organization’s insignia or emblem and carried by the organization’s members. They are given to prove membership when challenged and to enhance morale. Such coins can also be awarded for excellence. In addition, they are also collected by service members. Being a big fan of my work, Brian wanted to see if I could help with the design. If you are interested in how it all went down, you might want to check back my earlier articles. Today I have received a package from Afghanistan, containing the two very coins in a flesh, as well as a nice certificate of appreciation from the TF Odin Command. And of course I couldn’t resist the opportunity to showcase all of the above on this blog, as well as to thank my friends at TF Odin for this wonderful token of appreciation.

 Just to remind, here is the final draft of the first coin:


And here is the coin itself:


Here is the final draft of the second coin:

And the actual coin:


The images don’t really do a full justice to the actual pieces. When you have them in your hands, they feel and look outstanding…
And last, but not least -- the awesome certificate of appreciation I was talking about…



Cool stuff. Thanks guys! Stay frosty and come home safely…

3 comments:

  1. I know the CO of the TF, COL Hinsdale; awesome guy and a great friend. Congrats on some fine work!!

    ReplyDelete